[cmake-developers] [CMake 0015099]: CMake stores hidden cache values in Registry

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Aug 19 13:03:56 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Chris Volpe
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   15099
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            have not tried
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2014-08-19 13:03 EDT
> I have been using CMake to build a few open-source projects recently, and I've
been experimenting and moving around build directories and such. In a small test
application, CMake tries to find a library that I built and installed in one
place, and then I rebuilt and installed somewhere else. Meanwhile, I changed the
"<library>_ROOT" environment variable to point to the new location, restarted
CMake to pick up the new environment variable, and deleted the cache. There
should be no record left of the old location of the library (which wasn't in a
"standard" location such as "C:\Program Files"), but still, CMake is finding the
old location. There should be nothing pointing CMake to this location anymore,
but it's still doing so. On a hunch, I searched through the Windows Registry and
found several keys of the form
H_C_R\Software\Kitware\CMakeSetup\Settings\StartPath\WhereBuild<i> where <i> is
an integer. One of these contains the offending path. Is there a way to tell
CMake to ignore this and start fresh? Obviously, "delete cache" doesn't do the
trick. Is my only option to go into regedit.exe and delete these things from
time to time?

Steps to Reproduce:
Just go into the registry and look at those keys.

Additional Information:
Robert Maynard replied on the CMake mailing list as follows:

Hi these registry entries are added by cmake-gui and I don't see any way for
them to be cleared. Can you please create a new bug on
http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view_all_bug_page.php with this issue and I will
look into adding a feature to cmake-gui to clear dead paths.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change