[cmake-developers] New platform file for Cray Compute Node Linux

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Aug 14 18:46:33 EDT 2014

I've been using CMake on Cray's quite a bit lately and some of the cross
compilation leaves a bit to be desired.  No particular capability is really
missing but the "foo" of getting things to build and work seems to be
rather dispersed across various individuals and corners of the internet.
I'd like to start pooling some of this together to be shipped with CMake.

For starters, I'd like to add a Platform file for the cross compilation
target of ComputeNodeLinux.  While it's not entirely different from running
Linux natively, some assumptions from native host Linux build environments
aren't valid and building for it explicitly needs search paths defined by
the Cray environment modules.  It's also distinctly different from the
commonly used Catamount (which is very far removed from the currently used
OS). Attached is a patch for a new Platform file that uses information from
the loaded environment modules on the login nodes to define it's
appropriate path and version info.  I've been using this successfully on
Garnet (an XE6) and Titan (an XK7).

- Chuck