[cmake-developers] CMP0043 warnings everywhere

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Tue Apr 29 22:31:27 EDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 22:59:50 +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I was talking in general about these warnings. Typically some project
> has a working build system (...otherwise it wouldn't build), and after
> updating cmake, warnings appear. Since the build is working, there is
> no immediate need (for the project) to change anything in the
> buildsystem. The project will have an urgent need to change it once
> the old behaviour is not supported anymore.

CMake would like to drop old interfaces eventually (see 3.0 dropping
pre-2.6 behaviors) and if anyone tries to build it on a distro 3 years
from now, not having to dig out CMake 3.0 from the dustbin while CMake
3.10 (or 4.x) is current would be nice. At least CMake is warning on
behavior changes, preserving previous behavior as an option (provided
you don't just straight from 2.4.0 to 3.0), and providing examples of
how to update things versus autotools where Fedora ships old versions
due to projects never updating.

Actually, should 3.0 warn about cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.4.0)?

--Ben