[cmake-developers] Review Request: Topic ExternalProject_labels

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Tue Apr 29 09:13:24 EDT 2014

> ExternalProject: Set LABELS property to targets
> his is useful for using CDash subprojects.
>
> ExternalProject: Set FOLDER property to targets
> This is useful when using the USE_FOLDERS global property

Seems like something this simple is not quite flexible enough to make
it worthwhile. You could do the same thing with set_property calls in
your own code immediately after an ExternalProject_Add.

If we go to the trouble to actually incorporate this into
ExternalProject, shouldn't we make it flexible, so that callers can
pass in LABELS of their choice, and a FOLDER name of their choice?
Simply hard-coding it to the name of the project, and the string
"ExternalProjectTargets" may make it possible to organize, but not
everybody will be happy with the resulting names and organization.

I think if we're going to add something like this to EP, it should be
flexible enough to allow LABELS and FOLDER values to be passed in from
the caller.

David C.