[cmake-developers] cmake --find-package

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Apr 23 13:21:53 EDT 2014

On 4/23/2014 12:22 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> However, if you discover the problem is a general one for
> --find-package and Qt5, then it appears that Qt5 might be a good
> illustrative example to use for your renewed effort at developing a
> reliable --find-package capability.
I recently ran into a project using --find-package and found a
limitation that could be very problematic.  If a find module in CMake
uses a try-compile, or tries to figure out anything to do with the
compiler, this command will fail.    I am not sure there is a good way
around this.  Certainly try-compile is not actively discouraged in the
CMake Modules, so this can be added to any module at any time, breaking
--find-package in the future.

-Bill