[cmake-developers] target_compile_features remaining issues

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 18 13:04:53 EDT 2014

On 04/15/2014 11:39 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> I think we should reverse our earlier decision and go ahead and add
>> an error whenever a feature is requested that we do not know *is*
>> supported for the current {id, version}.
>
> Yes, I think that makes sense. Such an error can be relaxed in the future if
> desired.

The change proposed here:

 Features: Decay language flag if requested is not available.
 http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=93e7729d

makes the CXX_STANDARD target property specify a request to be
decayed rather than a requirement.  What if a project really wants
to require a given standard level?

Perhaps we can have a feature name like "cxx_std_11" to require a
given standard level with an error if it is not available.

Steve, how did you envision CXX_STANDARD, CXX_EXTENSIONS, and
COMPILE_FEATURES to be used together by a project?