[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014868]: Visual Studio 2005/2008 crashes when debugging WinCE 6 CMake projects

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Apr 8 14:06:18 EDT 2014

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Brendan Shanks
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14868
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   major
Date Submitted:             2014-04-08 14:06 EDT
Whenever I try to debug a Windows CE app with Visual Studio project files
generated by CMake, Visual Studio crashes.
VS2005 and 2008 both crash in the same way: right after the EXE is deployed,
with an access violation in devenv.exe (somewhere inside malloc())

I've only tested this with WinCE 6 and deploying/debugging on the emulator
(using a generic BSP I built). If I create a new project from inside Visual
Studio, debugging works fine.

It crashes after the EXE is deployed to the emulator, but if I make sure the
msvcr DLL is copied to the same directory, the binary does work correctly (when
launched from inside CE).

I have had this problem with both cmake 2.8.12.2 and cmake 3.0-rc3

Steps to Reproduce:
Start with an extremely simple CMake project (like the one I attached).

> cd ce_cmake_test
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake -G "Visual Studio 9 2008 BKSEmulator_Rls (ARMV4I)" ..
Inside build, open ce_cmake_test.sln
Choose Debug->Start Debugging
After the deploy to the emulator succeeds, Visual Studio crashes ("Microsoft
Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close")

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change