[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014417]: "cmake --system-information sfile .." removes "x" perm from ../ and fails

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Sep 16 14:39:40 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Steven R Thompson
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14417
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-09-16 14:39 EDT
from my build subdir, I executed "cmake --system-information sinfo .." and it
generated lots of error messages like this:
CMake Error st CMakeLists.txt:76 (FILE):
   file Internal CMake error when trying to open file:
   /usr/people/thompson/Xdfm2/build/.. for writing
Call Stck (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt(83) (DUMP_FILE)

the final error message is:
CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
   No cmake_minimum_required command is present.  A line of code such as

    cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)

should be added to the top of the file.

After running this, I was not able to execute "ls ..", due to the fact that
x-permission had been removed from the parent directory. I was able to reproduce
this several times, after manually restoring x-permission each time.  Apparently
it removes x-permission early and then cannot access the files in the parent
directory, which results in all the error messages.

Steps to Reproduce:
cmake --system-information sinfo ..

Additional Information:
Also, despite the error about there being no cmake_minimum_required line, it is
in the file ../CMakeLists.txt.

I ran the command with ".." as the final argument since the man page for cmake
indicates to me that it is required (and other cmake commands require a
directory as an arg).  Since the x-permission as removed from .., I tried
running cmake without .. as an arg, and got different results.  The x-permission
was not removed, but I still got the warning message about
cmake_minimum_required.  I did get an sinfo file, so the command worked better
without .. as an arg.  So at this point I would say that it gives an erroneous
warning, that the man page is misleading if a subdirectory is given, and that if
a subdirectory is given, it should not remove x-permission.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change