[cmake-developers] CMake libarchive bug? (not new...)

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 16:01:35 EDT 2013

2013/9/15 Alan W. Irwin <irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca>:
> On 2013-09-14 15:08-0400 David Cole wrote:
>
>> Ah, of course. A symlink. Thank you.
>>
>> Yes, I'm on Windows and using the pre-built binaries of CMake from
>> cmake.org.
>>
>> It's annoying that cross-platform projects actually have symlinks in their
>> source trees.
>

> Symbolic links are extremely useful and therefore used in a number of
> cross-platform software projects that are primarily developed on
> Linux.  So projects like subversion (and git?) recognize this
> situation and replace the symlink with the corresponding file copy for
> platforms such as Windows that do not have good symlink support.

This is a long-standing issue for CPack:

Since we rely on libarchive it should certainly be handled by libarchive itself:
http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/issues/detail?id=259

> I strongly feel that tarball unpacking software should follow this
> same course as well rather than asking all cross-platform projects to
> give up symlinks on platforms that support them.

[...]

I strongly suiggest you to add your comment on librarchive tracker
http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/issues/detail?id=259
and/or
CPack bug entry

Erk