[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014392]: Multiple Versions of Visual Studio causing problems with configure

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Sat Sep 7 00:30:57 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14392
Reported By:                BryanM
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14392
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-09-07 00:30 EDT
Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 are both installed on this machine.
Selected Generator: Visual Studio 11 Win 64

On first configure CMake detects MSVC_VERSION = 1700 and MSVC11 = 1, on
subsequent configures (with no changes made at all)MSVC_VERSION = 1600.

Steps to Reproduce:
I have Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed on this machine. CMake seems to be
having trouble with this (I assume), as i have a case where the values of
MSVC_VERSION will change for no reason with a configure.
To help debug this issue I have the following prints in my CMakeLists.txt

if(DEFINED MSVC11)
	message("MSVC11 = ${MSVC11}")
endif()

if(DEFINED MSVC_VERSION)
	message("MSVC_VERSION = ${MSVC_VERSION}")
endif()

To start with a fresh config I delete the cache, then click configure. I get
prompted to select the generator for the project at which I select "Visual
Studio 11 Win 64" and "Use default native compilers".

On this first run, my prints output the following
MSVC11 = 1
MSVC_VERSION = 1700

I then click configure again. This time, my prints change.
MSVC_VERSION = 1600

Subsequent configures all list MSVC_VERSION = 1600.

As I selected a generator for VisualStudio 11 and it detectes 11, I would expect
this MSVC_VERSION to reamin 1700, rather than change to 1600 on all but the
first configure calls.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change