[cmake-developers] Getting a list of files to install and their destination

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 5 08:42:34 EDT 2013

On 09/05/2013 08:14 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> limitation of that is that install(SOURCE) and install(CODE) can do
> arbitrary things.

Yes.  There are also modifications made to the installed files for
things like runtime path.  Installation is procedural, not declarative.
There is no way to predict the results without just doing it.

> Am I right in saying that even for remote deployment, cmake will not
> transfer files which are not changed?

If the modification times are identical then CMake will not update
the installed file.  If they are different, in either direction,
CMake will install and make the modification times the same.