[cmake-developers] C++11 and target_compiler_feature proposal

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 24 10:01:11 EDT 2013

On 10/23/2013 05:59 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> CMAKE_CXX_COMPILER is always set to the proper full path these days,
>> even in the IDE generators, so I wonder if we could actually run it
>> against the header file to detect the features available for the
>> current compiler instead of hard-coding a table in the platform
>> information files.  Then the checks would all be done in one place
>> via the preprocessor and __has_feature if available.
>
> I've implemented this and merged it to next for dashboard testing.

Please see the hythloth.kitware Linux64-gnu build entry on the
dashboard for some documentation errors reported by sphinx-build.

Also when you run the compiler you need to capture all stdout/stderr
so that it never leaks through to the user-visible cmake configuration
output.  The RunCMake.* tests that failed last night were mostly due
to compilers writing to stderr even when nothing is wrong and therefore
messing with the expected output matching.