[cmake-developers] Testing CMake

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:31:26 EDT 2013

Hello,

I've been wondering about the test setup in Tests/CMakeLists.txt.
Is CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND in that context the newly build ctest or the old
one that performed the build?
Does CMAKE_CTEST_COMMAND when invoked with "--build-and-test" perhaps
run that build and test with the new binaries?

I'm basically trying to figure out which version of cmake I can expect
for which cmake/ctest scripts and whether I am correctly testing newly
implemented behavior or incorrectly testing the outdated behavior from
an previous build.
Some of the scripts reference ancient versions of cmake and I am scared
of breaking them by introducing features that are not available in them.

Are there additional reasons why newer features should be kept out of
certain scripts?

Nils