[cmake-developers] Ninja: using dependency database

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Mon Oct 21 12:36:16 EDT 2013

>> Is there some simple test we can do to make sure ninja is
>> the right version?
>
> We could check the output of ninja --version

You could, but it won't be 100% reliable.

I just built ninja from git master, and it reports "1.4.0.git" as its
--version output.

So... you know it came from git *after* 1.4.0, but you don't know for
sure if it includes the change you require or not. If it's LESS than
1.4.0, or the version number is not even present, then you could warn
that the ninja is definitely too old.

But if it's "1.4.0.git" then you don't know if it's too old or not.