[cmake-developers] Patches for Visual Studio multi-CPU architecture project generation and a Windows-Phone-8 generator

Amine Khaldi amine.khaldi at reactos.org
Fri Oct 18 13:19:44 EDT 2013

> Okay, I think we can work with adding the CMAKE_GENERATOR_PLATFORMS variable
> to specify the list of platforms (what you called CMAKE_MSVC_PLATFORMS).  It
> can be documented as supported only by the WP8 generators for now.  If a
> project or user sets the variable they are responsible for making the build
> work that way.  It won't appear by default or be used by other generators
> so no one else will be affected.
We very much hope that this would help making
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/7272 a
reality at last.

> However on balance I don’t think adding multi-platform to the general
> VS toolchain adds any value. For example there’s no point in compiling
> CMAKE for x64 as it doesn't need to address > 4GB RAM and it won't
> even be possible to compile it for ARM as CMAKE can’t run under
> Windows 8 RT.

Please note that multi platform is the *norm* in VS solutions, not the
exception. Any and every real world VS user expects its support. The
lack of this support is what doesn't make sense, not the other way around.

Regards,
Amine.