[cmake-developers] Documentation or parse bug

James Bigler jamesbigler at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 14:40:24 EDT 2013

The documentation for target_link_libraries has this description:

  target_link_libraries(<target>

                        <LINK_PRIVATE|LINK_PUBLIC>
                          [[debug|optimized|general] <lib>] ...
                        [<LINK_PRIVATE|LINK_PUBLIC>
                          [[debug|optimized|general] <lib>] ...])

>From my understanding I should be able to do this:

target_link_libraries(target LINK_PRIVATE lib1 LINK_PRIVATE lib2)

however CMake 2.8.11.2 returns:

CMake Error at prime/CMakeLists.txt:128 (target_link_libraries):
  The LINK_PUBLIC or LINK_PRIVATE option must appear as the second argument,
  just after the target name.

What is the correct thing to do here?

Thanks,
James