[cmake-developers] C++11 and target_compiler_feature proposal

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Oct 11 14:04:32 EDT 2013

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 13:56:23 -0400, Brad King said:

>> There is one dashboard machine that uses a combined gcc+clang compiler. I
>> remember having many problems when the tests error'ed out when the tests
>> suddenly showed support for features not expected in some compiler version.
>>
>> If nothing comes right to your mind I'll dig further.
>
>No, sorry.  What does "combined gcc+clang" mean?

He's probably referring to so-called 'llvm-gcc':

<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/llvm-gcc.1.html>

which is a compiler consisting of the gcc front end and llvm back end.  It was the default Xcode compiler at one point (forget exactly which versions) but is no longer being worked on.  For Apple, it served the purpose of being a transition between gcc and clang.

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com