[cmake-developers] Converting CMake documentation to reStructuredText and Sphinx

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Oct 11 08:31:01 EDT 2013

On 10/11/2013 01:09 AM, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> Currently, CMake can generate its own documentation in various formats
> without imposing any additional tools.
> Will that still be the case?

No.  That's a trade-off we have to make.  CMake will now need Sphinx
to build the documentation.  However, now the documentation will be
indexed, cross-referenced, and easier to write and maintain.

> Will it still be able to generate DocBook, so companies can include
> the documentation in their handbook?

It can generate whatever Sphinx can generate.  IIRC Sphinx does not
currently support DocBook output but I see no reason it couldn't be
taught to do so.  That would be re-usable for many other packages that
use Sphinx too.