[cmake-developers] Converting CMake documentation to reStructuredText and Sphinx

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 18:56:11 EDT 2013

Brad King wrote:

> On 10/10/2013 12:02 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> It looks like property documentation is split now. Will there be new
>>
>>  cmake --help-prop-tgt COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
>>  cmake --help-prop-sf COMPILE_DEFINITIONS
>>
>> commands? Or will there be separate man pages for each type of property?
>
> It was always split and "--help-property FOO" would pick one (or all?)
> before.  Now it picks all matching property documents.

Yes, currently it shows one. Showing all, as the case in your topic, is
better.

>> Where will the documentation for individual concepts like
>> 'cmake-languages', 'cmake-policies', 'cmake-imported-targets',
>> 'cmake-config-packages' etc fit into this? As individual pages sibling to
>> cmake-generator-expressions?
>
> Yes, exactly.  Note cmake-policies.7 is already a manual.  Even though
> it is the reference of defined policies now we can add more sections to
> it to have concept introduction and examples.

Right, and that would also show up in cmake --help-policies? Somehow I'm
more comfortable with the cmake --help-foo than man pages, which is one
reason I wanted --help-concepts. I'll learn to adapt though :).

> The topic breaks some of the existing --help-* commands like --help-full,

Yes, --help-full is another one I'll miss a very small amount :). I
sometimes use `cmake --help-full | less -p foo` when not sure what to look
for.