[cmake-developers] Additional properties for PCH support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Nov 26 13:05:53 EST 2013

On 11/26/2013 12:32 PM, Peter Kuemmel wrote:
> So, is this the right way to improve the pch situation?

Please summarize the situation here so we don't have to read the
entire history of issue 1260 and all the proposed approaches.

IIUC the modules in issue 1260 are all a workaround for lack for
first-class support for PCH in CMake.  The right way forward is
to add such support.  The main reason this has not happened is
that no one has put in the time to figure out how to do it right.

There needs to be a CMake interface for specifying PCH information.
Then the CMake C++-implemented generators can add the right rules.
Can you propose such an interface for discussion?

I do not like the OBJECT_LOCATION property.  It ties too deeply
with internal generator implementation details and has no meaning
on Xcode or VS generators.  Whatever CMake interface is designed
to configure PCH information can include a PCH-specific way of
setting the location.