[cmake-developers] Unix Makefiles under MSys

Sean Farrell sean.farrell at rioki.org
Fri May 17 10:04:21 EDT 2013

Hallo CMake developers,

could somebody please explain to me the rationale why "Unix Makefiles"
installs by default under MSys to %ProgramFile% ? If I selected the
generator to be "MinGW Makefiles" I would have understood. I would have
have remotely understood that the "MSys Makefiles" have this behavior. But
in the case of "Unix Makefiles" I totally am lost on any logic.

If you ask cmake the description for "Unix Makefiles" is:

    *Generates standard UNIX makefiles.*
*
*
What it standard about "C:/Program Files (x86)"? If you have found a POSIX
compliant system which contains that path as a standard location for
programs, I would like to see it. In addition cmake also ignores the rather
standard "prefix" variable, with which you can alter the install location
(even without rerunning configure, if you happen to have one). (Don't
bother, I can read documentation, I know how to alter the install location.)

I see the current behavior as a bug. Either you update the description of
the generator to "Generates makefiles that behave like standard UNIX
makefiles, until you execute the install target" or use the rather update
the generator to actually "Generates standard UNIX makefiles."

Regards,

Sean Farrell