[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014030]: INCLUDE( file OPTIONAL ) doesn't see the "file appeared" as "file changed"

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Mar 19 22:43:58 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=14030
Reported By:                Paul "TBBle" Hampson
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14030
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-03-19 22:43 EDT
Using the Visual Studio generators, I get a free rerun of CMake whenever I build
my project.

One of the project pre-build steps generates a CMake include file which is
included with
INCLUDE( file OPTIONAL )

However, even though this file has gone from non-existent to existent, CMake
doesn't consider that to be a change, and doesn't regenerate the projects.

If I then delete my build-tree and rerun CMake, subsequent _changes_ to the
generated file are seen as changes by CMake correctly.

Steps to Reproduce:
(Only tested with Visual Studio Generator's auto-rebuild, sorry. I don't know if
that's a factor.)

Include a non-existent file with INCLUDE( file OPTIONAL )
Generate a Visual Studio solution using CMake.
Create the non-existent file
Build the project in Visual Studio

- Expected result: CMake re-runs, processing the included file.
- Actual result: CMake doesn't see anything as changed, and does nothing.

===== Comparison with the success case:

Include a existing file with INCLUDE( file OPTIONAL )
Generate a Visual Studio solution using CMake.
Modify the existing file
Build the project in Visual Studio

- Expected result: CMake re-runs, processing the included file.
- Actual result: CMake re-runs, processing the included file.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change