[cmake-developers] Preparing for 2.8.11-rc1

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:22:59 EST 2013

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>> You may have already realised that, for the same reason, I didn't work
>> more on this stuff either:
>>
>>http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6106/focu
>> s=6161
>>
>> That branch was just a proof of concept.
>
> Oh, ok, here I assumed you would have finished it in the meantime.
> Can you try to get this in shape for 2.8.11 ?

No, I'm afraid not. I'm not certain the approach I took was the correct one,
and I'm not taking over responsibility for the feature completely in
general.

My patch would cause a fatal_error if an imported target (either generated
or hand-written) has a target in its link interface which does not exist
(even if it is not used). From my reading of what Brad wrote, that's
plausible:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/6106/focus=6138

also, as the ImportInfo is retrieved when exporting targets, you may need to
consider whether that can/should raise a fatal_error too.

So, I think there's more work to do on that feature on several levels, and
in the interest of being clear :), I'm not taking over responsibility for
that work, though I'll help with code snippets as I did before.