[cmake-developers] Disallowing include() of export() result

Matthew Woehlke matthew.woehlke at kitware.com
Fri Jun 28 12:30:45 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-28 09:06, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> Perhaps the policy could also disallow the
>> APPEND mode altogether.  IIRC I've participated in discussion
>> in the past about how APPEND is a bad approach anyway.
>
> I've never used it, but then I've never used export() except in unit tests
> of it either :). I don't think preserving the APPEND functionality is
> expensive.

Do you not produce a fooConfig.cmake with export targets for your build
directories? :-)

Projects I work on usually make two fooConfig.cmake's; one to be
installed, and one that lets other projects use the project from its
build directory. Both use exported targets, via install(EXPORT) and
export() respectively.

--
Matthew