[cmake-developers] Peculiar issue for "NMake Makefiles JOM"

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Thu Jun 6 21:44:11 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-06 20:11-0400 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> On 6/6/2013 6:35 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
>>
>> http://releases.qt-project.org/jom/jom_1_0_13.zip). Are there known
>> problems with that jom release and how it interacts with Makefiles
>> produced by the "NMake Makefiles JOM" generator?
> You could try building cmake with your jom and running the regression tests
> and see if anything fails.  The dashboard for jom is working right now.  If a
> test does fail, please submit an experimental dashboard.

I have now gotten a lot further, but my latest troubles seem to be related
to the "NMake Makefiles JOM" generator not working well with MinGW.

Because of my bad results with MinGW gcc for the "NMake
Makefiles JOM" generator I suspect your good dashboard results
are only for the Microsoft cl compiler, but it would be good if
you could confirm that.

To explain the first issue I encountered, I appear to be the victim of
some sort of ExternalProjects_Add timing issue that appears when I use
the "NMake Makefiles JOM" generator but not the other generators I
have tried.  Anyhow, the good copy result I got from cmd before was
simply because that was the second time the build_ndiff-configure
target had been run.  So now I just run the "jom
build_ndiff-configure" command twice from bash.  The second time the
copy is completed without issues so the next (build_ndiff-configure)
step is automatically started. Thus, there is no need to go into a cmd
environment for that second try, and therefore I can now collect the
complete output from both the first and second tries from bash (see
attached files).

In this particular case I have specified gcc using
CMAKE_C_COMPILER.  That bombs with the message

-- Check for working C compiler: z:/home/wine/newstart/MinGW-4.7.2/bin/gcc.exe -- broken

For additional details see the attached results from the first and
second runs which involve lots of complaints that Microsoft's cl
compiler cannot be found.

Assuming you confirm my finding that the "NMake Makefiles JOM" generator does
not currently work properly with the MinGW suite of compilers is
there some small change in language support that
would make that work?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

Linux-powered Science