[cmake-developers] Expanding lists from genexes for add_custom_command

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jun 5 10:59:29 EDT 2013

On 06/05/2013 10:48 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Brad King wrote:
>> Can you present an argument for why it is not a good idea?
>
> As far as I remember, I couldn't find a way to implement it completely.
> Unfortunately I don't remember the details and I don't seem to have my
> experiments in a branch.

Yes, implementation will be tricky.  However, I'd rather get it
right than ask the user to explicitly markup expansion in a way
that is different from how we've always done it.

The steps are:

(1) Introduce an internal command invocation API that allows a
command to get at whether its argument was quoted or not.  I've
wanted to do this to fix the if() auto-dereferencing too.

(2) Track through custom command lines whether an argument needs
to be expanded at generate time.