[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014317]: Configuration dependent install EXPORT

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jul 31 11:15:26 EDT 2013

On 07/31/2013 11:05 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Config sensitive dirs are likely more common for libraries
> than includes, so actually I think it would be fine to make that an error
> and always do full evaluation.

To clarify, the no-config rule is for INCLUDES DESTINATION only, but full
with-config evaluation will be allowed for a real DESTINATION.  The
config can be honored for file destinations.  For targets we generate
a per-config IMPORTED_LOCATION_<CONFIG> anyway.  We will wait for after
2.8.12 for the file destination generator expressions.

> I've pushed INCLUDES-DESTINATION-no-config to my clone with an
> implementation. Can I merge it to next?

Yes, but one comment first:

+  if (cge->GetHadContextSensitiveCondition())
+    {
+    cmMakefile* mf = target->GetMakefile();
+    cmOStringStream e;
+    e << "Target \"" << target->GetName() << "\" is installed with "
+    "INCLUDES DESTINATION set to a configuration sensitive path.  This is "

Does "context sensitive" condition ever mean something other than
"configuration sensitive"?  If so then users may produce a case that
triggers this error in a confusing manner.