[cmake-developers] install-interface-includes topic

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 06:39:02 EDT 2013

Brad King wrote:

> Please add an error condition when INCLUDES DESTINATION is used
> without EXPORT and a test case to cover it.

I added that, but I think it would be better to remove the error case.

In KDE we have a INSTALL_TARGETS_DEFAULT_ARGS variable, used like this:

 install(TARGETS klib1 ktool1 ${INSTALL_TARGETS_DEFAULT_ARGS})

Let's pretend the variable contains

 set(INSTALL_TARGETS_DEFAULT_ARGS
   RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
   LIBRARY DESTINATION lib
   ARCHIVE DESTINATION lib
   INCLUDES DESTINATION include
 )

The problem is that all install(TARGETS) in KDE use the variable, but not
all specify an EXPORT. EXPORT is not specified for utility (not usually
executed directly by users) executables, kdeinit modules for example.

So, I don't think it should be an error to specify INCLUDE DESTINATION
without EXPORT. After all, I can specify LIBRARY DESTINATION for
executables...