[cmake-developers] cmake -E tar not working correctly with xz-compressed tarballs on MSYS

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jul 25 15:31:51 EDT 2013

On 07/24/2013 03:27 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:
> The first priority is to verify on Microsoft Windows that this is
> actually an issue using the the simple test I outlined in my previous
> post.

At a MSYS prompt under MS Windows this works:

 $ cat a.tar.xz | unxz | tar x

but this hangs:

 $ cmake -E tar xvf a.tar.xz

One can see in the process tree that there is a child process of
"cmake" called "unxz" that was started with no command line arguments.
One can attach a debugger to see CMake blocked inside libarchive code.

This confirms that the hang occurs on MS Windows just as in Wine.
I suggest getting upstream libarchive and building its sample
tools but without lzma support built-in.  Then try using that
binary to extract the .tar.xz file.