[cmake-developers] Allowed chars in test names

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Mon Jul 22 16:18:05 EDT 2013

Since d0170584c54b515b7eb2d044c3d48332523b3a37 there is a comment stating that
"spaces, quotes, or other characters special in CMake syntax" are not allowed
in a test name. This raised 2 topics:

-first: the only check done in add_test() is that the name is not empty. If
there are forbidden characters we must test for them, reject everything that
is invalid, and have a check that verifies that this works. I've been fooled
at least twice myself when adding a test with a space in the name and then
wondering why it didn't work.

-second: what does "special" mean? I fear that any test name would end up as
some sort of target name in Makefile/project files somewhere, in which case we
are limited to the valid subset of all supported generators. Which can be
something like [a-zA-Z0-9_] with special rules like "must not start/end with
$something". And maybe even some case problems?

So, who can shed some light on this? Brad?

Eike