[cmake-developers] Unexpected bad status for file DOWNLOAD for http://*.xz URLs

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jul 12 17:19:34 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-12 20:27-0000 David Cole wrote:

> It’s a bad bad really bad idea to make the build of OpenSSL “in-house” as you’ve been calling it... CMake SHOULD use the system openssl for distributions that have one already.
>

> If there are problems with that approach, then the problems should be addressed, but bringing a security component into “we have our own custom build of that which you must use”-land is NEVER a good idea.
>

> Just my opinion. Feel free to flame me if I’m wrong.

Hmmm. Now that you have brought up the security aspect, I agree that
an in-house build is probably a bad idea.  But only one "bad".  "bad
bad really bad" is probably over the top.  And that is your monster
flame for the day.  :-)

Seriously, though, what do you do in the Windows case where
there is no "trusted" distribution to build the openssl library for you?  I
presume you download some Windows binary from a location you trust, but
what location is that?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin