[cmake-developers] Unexpected bad status for file DOWNLOAD for http://*.xz URLs

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Fri Jul 12 06:08:25 EDT 2013

On 2013-07-12 11:21+0200 Eric Noulard wrote:

> so my best bet is that the CMake command your are using has no SSL support
> which makes the "https" handling fail with "unsupported protocol".

Hi Eric:

Your hypothesis was absolutely correct (as you can see from my later
posts in this thread).  In fact, the Debian wheezy version of cmake
cannot handle my test case, and the only version I got to work was my
own build with a particular choice of system curl library. What was
the exact version of CMake that you found would pass my download test?

By bringing the openssl library build in house (similar to the way
there is an in-house version of libcurl), I think CMake could be made
a lot less fragile with respect to downloading.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin