[cmake-developers] How should Mac frameworks work?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 13:36:24 EDT 2013

Clinton Stimpson wrote:

> This change hasn't been released yet and will go into CMake 2.8.12.

Ah, I see. I was mis-reading my gitk.

> If Qt were to put multiple versions of libraries into one framework, then
> I think the IMPORTED_LOCATION should be more specific.

The issue is more about cmake using the correct -F and --framework flags for
the Qt frameworks. As Qt includes are no longer installed to $prefix/include
in the 5.1.0 RC2 (pending temporary reversal https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,60232 ), and as there is no QtCore directory containing
a QObject header, lines like

 #include <QtCore/QObject>

are expected to behave in the standard way appropriate for frameworks, which
I understand to mean:

 * Use -F to specify paths to look for frameworks
 * Compile with --framework QtCore
 * Look in $something/QtCore.framework/Headers for QObject to include

That means that CMake is expected to generate a buildsystem which contains
those -F and --framework flags, if I've understood everything.

As far as I understand, that is not the case currently when trying to use
CMake with the with the Qt frameworks (feel free to try the RC2 and hack
around with the Config files).