[cmake-developers] Interface includes and defines plumbing

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 06:29:05 EST 2013

Brad King wrote:

> On 01/08/2013 09:07 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Done now, thanks.
>
> Currently target_include_directories cannot be used with a RHS target
> that has not yet been created.  This could be problematic for projects
> that want circular include dependencies, especially with targets in
> sibling directories.
>
> Can the "non-target/relative-path argument" error be moved to generate
> time when $<TARGET_PROPERTY:BadTarget,INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES>
> is evaluated?  Does this make sense?

Having played around with the feature a bit more, I agree that it makes
sense to be able to specify use of includes from a target before the target
is seen.

I implemented that in the interface-commands-lazy-target-check in my clone.
It has a disadvantage compared to the target_compile_definitions command and
a possible workaround.