[cmake-developers] FindPackageCheckArchLinuxSymlinks branch on stage

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Jan 24 13:10:27 EST 2013

On 01/24/2013 12:39 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Also, it could have been installed into the symlink, but be found via the non-
> symlink path.

Right, it is not possible to handle installing into a symlink because we
cannot know that when computing paths ahead of time.

The two competing goals are:

* Relocatable package.  This is for binary tarball distributions and we
  can assume there will be no symlink mess because we control the tarball.
  If someone extracts it in a system prefix then they are on their own.

* Distro-maintained package.  This has a fixed install path and should
  simply use full paths.

I do not think we should try to handle cross-prefix symlinks at the same
time as relocatable packages.  The remaining issue is how to know which
one the current build wants.  Ideas?