[cmake-developers] FindPackageCheckArchLinuxSymlinks branch on stage

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 12:11:07 EST 2013

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I pushed the FindPackageCheckArchLinuxSymlinks branch to stage, haven't
> merged it yet.

Hi,

A conversation a few weeks ago on IRC hinted that gentoo are doing the same
thing now/soon.

I just searched and found http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//usr_move which also
links to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove which is talking
about symlinking the root directories into /usr, including the lib64
directory.

Given that, at least your method naming could be made more generic (ie
CheckArchLinuxSymlinks is not a good name).

You wrote a comment 'the 64/ directories are searched before the other
directories'. Is that a cmake feature? Can those directories which are
symlinks be excepted from that priority? Does that make any sense? Will we
get problems arising from the non-64 directories? Is CMake searching in
/lib* before /usr/lib/* ? Should that be changed?

> It makes cmake warn if /lib64/ is a symbolic link to /usr/lib/ and a
> Config.cmake file has been found in one of both (since any relative
> directory references may be wrong then), see the "General Config.cmake
> file issue on ArchLinux" thread here from November.

Given that Andrea Scarpino said that the /include dir does not exist, I
don't see why you check for it in your patch.

Checking whether /usr/lib is a symlink to /lib64 was one of the ideas we
came up with, but I still think I prefer a more generic symlink check
somehow, but I'm not about to dig into that at the moment.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/5327/focus=5501