[cmake-developers] Request for Comments: Will implementing an interactive CMake debugger be welcome?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jan 8 03:48:29 EST 2013

Hi Matt,

On Mon, 7 Jan 2013 17:06:11 -0700
Matt McCormick <matt.mccormick at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Shlomi,
>
> I also think this would be a great feature.  I started on an
> implementation here:
>
>   https://github.com/thewtex/cmakedbg
>
> but I have not had time to follow it through.  The user interface is
> written in Python/Cython for fast prototyping purposes, but it could
> be written all C/C++ if you would like.  I believe I got to the point
> where it was possible to set a breakpoint.  I was building against
> this branch:
>
>   https://github.com/thewtex/CMake/tree/cmakedbg

Great! Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

> Overall, I think the approach is fairly solid.  When CMake processes a
> line, it asks a debugger if it is interested.  For there, the debugger
> can pause if a breakpoint is set at that point, let the user print the
> content of current variables that are defined, ...  Since it uses
> CMake for processing all the code, the debugger will behave exactly
> the same as a cmake executable.
>
> Feel free to take the project and run with it.

I'll try to - thanks.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> Matt

Original Riddles - http://www.shlomifish.org/puzzles/

Sisko: Q: would it be OK if my crew brought along their phasers with them?

Q: Of course. They can also bring some photon torpedoes if they wish. None of
them will work, but I don’t mind them taking them.