[cmake-developers] [SOLVED]DESTDIR does not work correctly with install(FILES ... signature

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jan 7 23:56:45 EST 2013

On 2013-01-07 21:43-0500 David Cole wrote:

> Escape the $ in the original, so it's still there in the generated install
> script.
>
> i.e., \$ENV{DESTDIR} should yield $ENV{DESTDIR} in the install script.
>
> CMake is *correctly* replacing the ENV reference with its current value at
> CMake configure time. But you want it to happen at install time.

Thanks very much for that rapid solution for the problem which is
going to be a big help in getting these releases out the door!

I guess my personal issue is despite years of cmake experience I keep
tripping over escape issues like this one.  The example I copied (see
http://osdir.com/ml/programming.tools.cmake.user/2006-10/msg00237.html)
from someone who is usually right about cmake ( :-) ) had the same escape issue,
and I propagated it without enough thought.

I would really like to reduce the number of times I stumble over
escape issues so are the escape rules documented anywhere
(including the above important distinction between cmake time
and install time)?

Alan
Alan W. Irwin