[cmake-developers] Should CMAKE_LINK_DEPENDS_NO_SHARED be on by default?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Feb 25 14:27:18 EST 2013

On 02/25/2013 02:18 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> It is a change in default behavior.
>
> Maybe with a policy ?

How would it trigger?  We can't warn on every target that links
to a shared library.  We're not changing any existing interfaces.

The behavior only affects the dependencies placed in the build
system.  It won't affect one-shot builds, only developer workflow.
The dependencies we're removing are a common source of complaints,
and should not be necessary in normal situations.

I am on the fence about the behavior change.  The solution I added
before, CMAKE_LINK_DEPENDS_NO_SHARED, has no change but allows
developers to optimize extra linking out of their workflow by
adding the setting themselves.