[cmake-developers] Creating Windows 7 manifests with mingw builds

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Feb 21 16:11:18 EST 2013

On 02/21/2013 01:07 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> I learned that executables for Windows 7 need some manifest embedded, and that
> this works more or less automatically with CMake and MSVC.
>
> I also learned that our (KDE's) Windows team wrote a tool to do the same when
> using mingw. It is a few kB of STL-only C++ code, and this macro:
>
> Now as you know we'd like to get rid of our custom stuff, and it seems to me
> that this is something which would make sense to have in cmake directly.

I think it is reasonable to try to solve this in CMake so it happens
automatically.  It should be built into the platform link rules and
not added as a custom POST_BUILD command.

Bill, as the author of the current manifest support for MSVC what
do you think?

Alex, can you please post a link to the KDE implementation in C++?