[cmake-developers] Summer of code and Pascal

Vittorio Giovara vittorio.giovara at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:55:22 EST 2013

Hi all,
I'm one of the developer of Hedgewars, an open source video game written in
c++ and Pascal, using CMake as build system. Please see the full site at
http://www.hedgewars.org/

Right now our pascal integration is a little hack-y,
http://code.google.com/p/hedgewars/source/browse/hedgewars/CMakeLists.txtas
we just add many 'custom_command' and 'custom_target' all around the
place. This has caused issues on many many platforms, especially at the
linking stage.

I was wondering whether it would it be possible to have the Pascal language
as one "officially" supported languages, so that it'd be possible to write
add_sources() on the .pas files and live happily ever after.

If so, I think we could make this work thanks to the Google Summer of Code!
This program (*if* they announce it) basically introduces students to the
world of FOSS development by having them work on a project for an open
source organization during the summer.

I don't know if CMake wants to participate this year, but in case not, if
there is one developer willing to act as mentor for a student, Hedgewars
(*if* selected) would happily allocate one of its students to work on this
task and act as a "umbrella" for this single project targeting CMake
sources. Of course the student would still have to write a sensible project
proposal for being accepted.

What do you think of this idea?
Cheers,
Vittorio (koda on #hedgewars)