[cmake-developers] INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES on STATIC libs

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Feb 8 15:19:49 EST 2013

On 02/08/2013 02:36 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Perhaps TARGET_DEFINED is not a good name then.  What are we really
>> asking?  TARGET_LINKABLE?
>
> That may not be a good name either. It reads generic enough to me to also
> mistake it as accepting libraries.
>
>  $<TARGET_LINKABLE:foo> # Is libfoo.so available in the places
>                         # where cmake looks for it?
>
> I don't really have a better idea at the moment though.

I don't think we can convey in a simple name the true meaning of
what we're querying.  It is simpler to keep TARGET_DEFINED as
a generate-time version of "if(TARGET)" and work for all target
types.

The underlying issue is to prevent INTERFACE properties from
propagating through custom targets, right?  Perhaps we can address
that directly by making it an error to set or read INTERFACE_*
properties on a custom target. (Or something similar)