[cmake-developers] Deprecating qt4_use_modules and qt4_automoc?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 05:46:40 EST 2013

Hi there,

The qt4_use_modules is now mostly obsoleted by tll in CMake 2.8.11. The main
difference is that qt4_use_modules does not require the use of imported
targets.

I think we should deprecate it in favor of using tll() with imported targets
(using the imported targets is independent of the QT_USE_IMPORTED_TARGETS
setting, which determines what is in the QT_QTGUI_LIBRARIES and similar
variables). So we should document

 target_link_libraries(foo PRIVATE Qt4::QtGui)

and similar as the primary way to use Qt 4.

The qt4_automoc macro is obsoleted by the CMAKE_AUTOMOC feature. There is no
equivalent in the Qt 5 cmake macro offering. So, I think we should deprecate
it too.

Thoughts?