[cmake-developers] Review Request: Topic ExternalProject-independent-step-targets

David Cole dlrdave at aol.com
Fri Dec 20 08:35:07 EST 2013

>>  ExternalProject_Add_Step_Dependencies
>>
>> ?
>
> Ok for the name...
>
> Is it ok for you if I use the same topic and to update the unit tests
> call it, so that this function is tested as well, even though this
means
> updating the existing calls to ExternalProject_Add?

Existing calls to ExternalProject_Add must continue to work as they
were before your topic. As long as you leave *most* of them alone for
testing purposes, you should be ok. Ideally, for new functionality you
would write a new part of the test, with new calls to
ExternalProject_Add that test your new pieces.

ExternalProject_Add is a tricky one, though, because adding many calls
to it can significantly increase the time required to run the test.

What you don't want to do is change *all* of them and accidentally
*require* everyone to update their code to work with the new version of
CMake.

i.e. -- don't let a backwards compatibility break go unnoticed by
changing all the tests at the same time that you change underlying
CMake functionality.

HTH,
David