[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014647]: Inconsistency in the way shared libraries are passed to Fortran vs C linker

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Fri Dec 13 17:11:00 EST 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Sean Patrick Santos
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14647
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-12-13 17:11 EST
Last Modified:              2013-12-13 17:11 EST
When "target_link_libraries" is called with the full path to a shared file (at
least in my case, which is a .so on a Linux system), the behavior is different
depending on whether a Fortran or a C compiler is being used for the actual
linking step.

For a C compiler, the full path "/usr/lib64/libm.so", gets translated to a
simple "-lm" option.

For the Fortran compiler, though, the full path is retained.

In most cases, I haven't even noticed this, because ultimately both end up
working. But I've found encountered bugs due to compiler wrappers that behave
differently in the two cases. For this reason, I wanted to suggest that this
inconsistency should be resolved one way or the other, unless there's a specific
reason why the two cases need to be treated differently.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change