[cmake-developers] Minor regression in --version results for CMake 2.8.12.1

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Wed Dec 4 22:10:40 EST 2013

I just noticed a regression in this release, which is so minor it
would not justify bringing out 2.8.12.2 on its own.  Nevertheless, I
believe this bug should be fixed immediately in the git version so it
doesn't show up for further releases with 4-part version numbers.

This (very simple) issue is

cmake --version

emits the string "cmake version 2.8.12" rather than the expected
"cmake version 2.8.12.1"

This is a regression from previous behaviour.  For example, here
are the results for cmake-2.8.11.2

"cmake version 2.8.11.2"

For what it is worth, I built cmake-2.8.12.1 using the bootstrap
method on Linux with the bootstrap options --parallel=8 --verbose
--system-curl --no-qt-gui

I plan to release a development version of PLplot 10 days from now so
undoubtedly in the course of the extensive tests I run before such a
release, I am going to give CMake-2.8.12.1 a complete thrashing both
on Linux and Wine.  From past experience. CMake should survive that
with few or no issues, but if I spot anything more than this --version
issue, I will let you guys know.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin