[cmake-developers] [CMake 0014121]: Custom command errors are hidden when CTest launchers are used with Ninja

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Apr 29 16:51:25 EDT 2013

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Nils Gladitz
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   14121
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2013-04-29 16:51 EDT
I couldn't get any build errors from custom commands on my CDash dashboard when
using Ninja with CTest launchers.

Neither are there errors from custom commands with failure exit status nor from
those with output matched by CTEST_CUSTOM_ERROR_MATCH.

Steps to Reproduce:
I've set up a test project for which I tested make and ninja with and without
launchers.

CTEST_CUSTOM_ERROR_MATCH is set to "FooBar".

The project contains three custom commands with the following outputs and exit
codes:

	CustomCommand1: "this is a FooBar message" (exit success)
	CustomCommand2: "this is a fatal error" (exit failure)
	CustomCommand3: "this is a FooBar fatal error" (exit failure)

These are the results that I got (numbers in braces indicate which custom
commands produce output visible on CDash):

    Ninja (Launchers enabled): 0 Build Errors
    Ninja (Launchers disabled): 4 Build Errors (1, 2, 3)

    Unix Makefiles (Launchers enabled): 2 Build Errors (2, 3)
    Unix Makefiles (Launchers disabled): 4 Build Errors (1, 2, 3)

CTEST_CUSTOM_ERROR_MATCH seems to only work with launchers disabled with
Makefiles as well so I assume this is by design (though unexpected).

At the very least the exit status in the Ninja + Launchers case should be
evaluated as it is with Makefiles.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change