[cmake-developers] Documentation 'latest' url

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Apr 4 08:33:41 EDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 12:12 AM, Michael Wild wrote:
> On 09/21/2012 04:36 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> This page has links for various versions of cmake:
>>
>> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/documentation.html
>>
>> Would it be possible to get a 'latest' url too, such as
>>
>> http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/cmake.html
>>
>> It would make more sense to link to such a url from the Qt documentation.
>
> Excavating this oldish, unanswered post:
>
> +1 from me! It certainly would help linking to the up-to-date docs from
> the Wiki...

The problem with unversioned URLs is that people link to them based
on their current content.  When the content changes in the next version
some of the links become nonsense.  I don't know how many times I've
seen links to a version control web viewer posted to say "look at
line 10 here", and of course line 10 has long since changed because
they didn't use a URL that specifies the repository version.

What we need is an unversioned URL that automatically redirects to the
latest versioned URL.  That way someone following a link that is
intended to be unversioned will get a versioned URL in their browser.
Unfortunately server-side redirects cause some browsers to strip the
"#tag" part of the URLs, and client-side redirects require Javascript.