[cmake-developers] Exporting dependent library targets in multiple export sets

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Sep 17 15:42:42 EDT 2012

On 09/17/2012 03:35 PM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> Let's say FooTargets.cmake provides the target foo.
>
> BarTargets.cmake provides the target bar, and requires FooTargets.cmake.
>
> Now if the user installed the bar-devel package, but not the foo-devel
> package, the target foo will not be available.
> This can or should be checked also outside maybe in the BarConfig.cmake cmake,
> which could load BarTargets.cmake only if Foo could be found, but still I
> think it's not necessary to abort in this error case.

What would you do instead of aborting?  Silently pretend the package
Bar was not found at the current Bar_DIR and move on with the search?
That would require the sandboxing I previously elaborated.  It would
also be confusing to users IMO because the package they know is in
their search path would be skipped for a mysterious reason.