[cmake-developers] Specifying VS target platform

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 13 08:55:16 EDT 2012

On 09/13/2012 08:31 AM, Patrick Gansterer wrote:
> we can remove the "*Win64|ARM" generators from the list of generators,
> so new users will use the "better" way?

Yes, I think so.

>> Since VS 2010 the vcxproj files can specify the toolchain to use
>> independent of the VS version
>
> Does this help for older generators too? AFAIK this isn't supported
> in VS versions before 2010 and the last VS version supporting WinCE
> is VS2008.

The new interface should select only the platform and can do so for
all generator versions that support more than one platform.  However,
it can be extended in the future to *also* select the PlatformToolset.

>> We need an interface both on the command line and in the cmake-gui.
>> An option like your proposed "-GP" should work well for the command
>> line, through I'd like to think about the name a bit more.
>
> What can I do with the WinCE changes until you thought about it? ;-)

Implement the "-GP" option instead of using CMAKE_WINCE_SDK.  If
it is not too hard try to refactor the Win64 and ARM platform
specification to work that way too.

>From that prototype we can easily change the name.  Once it works
with the generator from the command line then we can look at adding
the equivalent option to the GUI.

Actually "-GP" may be good because then we can add "-GT" to select
the _Tool_ version in VS >= 10.